Proctoring a Student Survey
What You'll Learn
In this resource you can learn about how to administer a survey to students.
Why is my role as a proctor important?
As a proctor, your role is to set the tone for students who are about to take their survey. It’s important for students to know how valuable their voice is, and following best practices as a proctor will ensure quality feedback.
How should I proctor to ensure the best results?
- Encourage students to take the survey seriously by letting them know how their feedback will be used.
- Make sure all students are prepared to do work or read quietly after they have completed their surveys.
- Collect all the necessary items for surveys ahead of time, including making sure that all students have access to a device to take the survey on, and a list of online access codes.
- Review collection protocols to best protect the confidentiality of student responses.
- Provide feedback to survey coordinators about best practices for survey administration.
- Understand and promote the accessibility of the surveys for students who may need accommodations or support. We recommend giving students the same accommodations they would have in the classroom and/or for any standardized testing. Check out this page for more in-depth information about the accessibility of Panorama's surveys.
Resources for Proctoring a Survey
All of our resources for proctoring a student survey are available in English and Spanish, to ensure that all students are able to give accurate feedback on their school experiences.
- For younger students, consider using our vocabulary mini lesson [English | Spanish-English] to ensure that they understand the words that are used in the survey. You can download a copy of this slide deck and remove any terms that your students may already know.
- Download our customizable Proctor Guides and use them to proctor surveys in your classroom. If you need additional materials that teachers can use during survey administration in their classroom, you can download the customizable Proctor Slides:
- Proctor Instructions & Script - One Survey [ English | Spanish ]
- Proctor Instructions & Script - Two Surveys [ English | Spanish ]
- Proctor Instructions & Script - Student About Course Section - One Survey [English]
- Proctor Step-by-Step Slides - One Survey [ English | Spanish-English ]
- Proctor Step-by-Step Slides - Two Surveys [ English | Spanish-English ]
- IMPORTANT: Students most often use their student ID as their access code. The survey-taking site is surveys.panoramaed.com/[youruniqueclientURL]. If you are unsure of your client URL, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.