How Can I Learn More About Panorama Education's Survey Instruments?
What You’ll Learn
How Panorama Education’s surveys were designed, how we think about topics, and what our content looks like.
What are Panorama’s survey instruments?
Panorama offers the following free and open-source survey instruments:
- Panorama Student Survey
- Panorama Teacher and Staff Surveys
- Family-School Relationships Survey
- Panorama for SEL
Panorama’s survey instruments are grounded in the most advanced survey methodology and best practices. These instruments have been rigorously developed and Panorama is committed to validating, testing, and refining them over time.
Best practices Panorama used to design surveys that minimize measurement error include:
- Wording survey items as questions rather than statements
- Eliminating “agree-disagree” response options and instead reinforcing the underlying topic in response options
- Asking about one idea at a time rather than using double-barreled items (e.g., “How happy and engaged are you?”)
- Using at least five response options
- Making sure that all response options are verbally-labeled to make surveys more conversational
What are scales? Why are they important?
All of our instruments are designed as a series of scales, or group of questions related to a single topic. This design feature allows educators to customize the surveys by selecting the topics they wish to measure in their schools without compromising the integrity of the surveys.
Most of our scales already have a substantial body of evidence of their validity across specific contexts and uses, and we continue to collect data about all of our scales’ reliability and validity.
Take a look at each of our User Guides for our instruments to understand our scales and decide on content to measure what matters.
Learn more about using Panorama Teacher and Staff Survey by catching up on this 25-minute webinar.