How Do I Engage Students?
What You'll Learn
Strategies for engaging students before, during, and after survey administration.
Why Engaging Students is Important
Our partners achieve the highest quality student data by building buy-in with students throughout the survey cycle. The chart below outlines the strategies that our schools and districts have found most successful in raising survey awareness and buy-in among students.
Engaging Students Before Administering Surveys
- Solicit student input on survey content
- Hold focus groups
- Poll students at an event
- Thoughtfully schedule survey window
- Designate a class period to complete the surveys
- Plan for a makeup time for any absent students
- Avoid school holidays and testing dates
- Raise awareness in advance
- Establish incentives for participation
- School and/or class prize for highest response
Engaging Students During Survey Administration
- Make response rates transparent
- Give principals access to Panorama's Response Rate
- Post "Progress Thermometer" within each school
- Raise awareness through a sticker campaign
Engaging Students After Administering Surveys
- Increase visibility of data to students
- Sample lesson plan for sharing results
- Demonstrate value of feedback by sharing actions taken as a result of the data
Learn more about how La Cañada Unified School District improved visibility within their community.