How Should I Prepare My Data File to Upload to the Panorama Platform?
What You’ll Learn
We know that gathering data about your students, staff, and families isn’t always easy, so we want to help. Use this guide to interpret and resolve some common data file errors. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions.
Note: These data file templates are optimized for our online clients who are uploading their data through Panorama's survey portal. If you work with a project manager at Panorama, your data file template may look slightly different.
Why Data Format Matters
When running a survey administration, it’s critical to have data that is formatted correctly in order to be accepted by our platform and to ensure that the correct surveys are created for the correct survey-takers. Ensuring your data is formatted in such a way that our platform can read your data file will allow the data file upload stage in the process to happen quickly and successfully.
Download the appropriate data file templates so that you’re aware of the information that is required by our platform in addition to the optional information that may provide additional insights on your reports. Each of these data templates also includes some sample data to help you better understand what is expected in each column of the .xls file.
| Data Templates for Feedback Surveys
||Data Template for SEL Measures|
| Student Surveys about Schools
Student Surveys about Teachers
Family Surveys about Schools
Teacher/Staff Surveys about Schools
| Student SEL Self-Reflection
Teacher SEL Reflection
Data Quality Checklist
Complete each step of this Data Quality Checklist before uploading any data file. For more information and guiding screenshots of Panorama's platform, see our Data File FAQ One-Pager.
- Remove duplicates or empty/incomplete fields: Check for and remove duplicate ID numbers, duplicate or empty email addresses,or email addresses that are incomplete.
- Remove all hyperlinks from your data file: Occasionally, entering email addresses in your data file will create hyperlinks. Our platform cannot support importing hyperlinks, so please remove or undo all hyperlinks before uploading your data.
- Remove all blank rows from your data file: The data file upload will stop at the first blank row in your file, so only the data appearing above the first blank row will be imported into our platform.
- Use only numeric values for grade levels: Only use 3-12 to represent grade level. Avoid “grade 3” and “3rd”, for example.
- Match your column headers with the data file template: This will ensure that the platform recognizes all columns correctly. If column headers do not match the template, the platform will think required information is missing!
- Ensure the school and/or district names match any previous data uploads: If not, you’ll create a new school or district rather than adding to the existing one! This can negatively impact your reporting experience.
Review these data file guides to learn more about the information that is required by our platform and the optional information that may provide additional insights on your reports. Understanding what kind of information is required in which column of your data file with examples can help you see around corners and identify areas where you may need additional support accessing data.